This fifth edition of the industry acknowledged standard rigging reference, first published in 1950—Handbook of Rigging for Construction & Industrial Operations (Lifting, Hoisting, and Scaffolding), has been comprehensibly revised, expanded, and updated to include the current best practices for safe rigging procedures on the construction site, as well as in industrial and utility facility environments. The emphasis in each chapter is on the legal obligation of rigging contractors and project management to comply with safety and health requirements, as set forth in OSHA 1926 federal regulations; ANSI/ ASTM safe operation standards for lifting and hoisting equipment for materials and personnel; as well as specific industry standards and guidelines applicable to various rigging procedures, equipment, and devices. The handbook is intended to provide a ready reference and guide for:
• Engineers and contractors engaged in rigging design and operations.
• Expert riggers and erectors of buildings and other structures.
• Maintenance mechanics in industrial plants and electric power generation facilities having less frequent rigging jobs to perform.
• Operators of all types of hoists, derricks, and cranes.
• Workers engaged in the erection of scaffolds or signages, or in climbing tall structures (towers and chimneys) for repair or maintenance work.
Accident statistics show that construction is a high-hazard industry to work in. As most of the accidents that occur are the result of human error, it’s important for everyone involved in the rigging lifting,
hoisting, and scaffolding procedures to accept responsibility for the part they play in the operations.
Almost all the crane accidents reported each year, however, could have been avoided if the workers controlling the cranes’ operation had paid more attention to what they were doing, checked the condition of slings and lifting equipment before use, ensured that loads were not lifted over any public place or work area, and not allowed anyone to ride on a suspended load.
A key aspect of this handbook is to encourage managers and workers to accept their responsibility to minimize the risk of accidents to persons and property through proper training that can significantly improve accident prevention on the construction site.
The handbook attempts to identify the elements of safe rigging practice and expand on the minimum safety regulations promulgated by OSHA and the various standards organizations. It should be used as a guide, in conjunction with the applicable safety regulations by everyone concerned with or responsible for the safety of employees at work on a project, as well as for the general public and surrounding property and structures.
Information in specific chapters on rigging equipment, systems, and devices can provide the basis for developing instructional material used in training personnel engaged in rigging operations. It also can be included in standard instructions issued to employees for the safe use of rigging equipment and handling of construction materials.
Safe practices recommendations in the handbook, of necessity, are framed in general terms to accommodate the many variations in rigging practices and the different ways in which rigging is used. Because these recommendations are only advisory in nature, they must be supplemented by strict observance of specific relevant regulations—as well as individual equipment manufacturers’ recommendations and requirements.
- E-Books: Fire and Emergency Drill Manual and Building Inspection Guide
- E-Books: Health and Safety: Risk Management 5th edition
- E-Books: Fire Protection systems -Third edition 2021
- Grating-Decking-Floor- handrail-Removal Form
- Electrical Inspection Checklists
- E-Books: Fire Safety Logbook templates
- General Safety Guidelines and Employee Acknowledgment form
- E-Books: From Accidents to Zero
- Safety Flash: Crewman fell to his death through faulty grating
- E-Books: Electric Safety Practice and Standards
- Hand safety free Posters
- E-Books: Ergonomics and Psychology Developments in Theory and Practice
- E-Books: HAZOPS Should BE fun-The Stream-Based HAZOP
- Annual Internal Audit Form
- E-Books: Safety Health and Environmental Auditing
- Mobile Scaffold Inspection checklist
- E-Books: A Quick Guide to Health and Safety
- Simultaneous Operation (SIMOPS) checklist
- E-Books: Occupational Ergonomics A Practical Approach
- Temporary Construction Facilities (TCF) Inspection checklist
- E-Books: Job Hazard Analysis A Guide for Voluntary Compliance and Beyond
- E-Books: Electrical Safety of Low Voltage Systems
- E-Books: Your Guide to A Healthy Heart
- E-Books: Fall Prevention and Protection Principles Guidelines and practices
- E-Books: Topics in Safety, Risk, Reliability, and Quality
- E-Books: Occupational Safety and Health Fundamental Principles and Philosophies
- E-Books: Risk Assessment A Practical Guide to Assessing Operational Risks
- HIRA, HSE Hazards & Effects Management Process (HEMP) & Risk Register Template
- E-Books: Electrical Safety Code Manual
- E-Books: Career Guide to the Safety Profession
- E-Books: Introduction to Process Safety for Undergraduates and Engineers
- E-Books: Occupational Safety and Health Simplified for the Chemical Industry
- E-Books: Simultaneous Operations SIMOPS Training Material
- E-Books: HAZOP-Guide to Best Practice Third Edition
- Dropped Object Consequence Calculator
- E-Books: Health, Safety, and Environmental Management in Offshore and Petroleum Engineering
- Hazard Identification Plan (HIP) Template
- E-Books: A Handbook of Industrial Ecology
- E-Books: Introduction to International Health and Safety at Work
- Ladder Inspection Form
- E-Books: Fire Safety Equipment Guidelines
- E-Books: Occupational health and safety management General guidelines for safe working during the COVID-19 pandemic
- E-Books: Biological Risk Engineering Handbook Infection Control and Decontamination
- Pre-Startup Safety Review Checklist (PSSR)
- Hazard Identification Checklist
- E-Books: Accident Incident Prevention Techniques 2nd Edition
- Workplace Housekeeping Checklist
- E-Books: Handbook of Petrochemical Processes
- E-Books: Safety With Machinery
- ISO 45001:2018 READINESS CHECKLIST
- E-Books: Fire Protection Engineering in Building Design
- E-Books: Environmental management in oil and gas exploration and production
- E-Books: Guidelines on the marine assessment of F(P)SOs
- E-Books: Hoisting and Rigging Safety Manual
- E-Books: Fire Engineering and Emergency Planning
- Lifting Plan Audit Checklist
- E-Books: The Health and Safety Handbook
- E-Books: Environmental Health and Hazard Risk Assessment principles and calculations
- E-Books: Safety and Health for Engineers
- E-Books: Practical Guide To Electrical Grounding
- E-Books: A Guide to Fire Safety Engineering
- E-Books: IOSH A Healthy Return
- Electrical Isolation Permit to Work forms and checklist
- E-Books: Fire Alarm Systems A Reference Manual
- Canteen Inspection Checklist
- E-Books: Fire Safety Management Handbook 3rd edition
- E-Books: Dictionary of Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health
- E-Books: Health and Safety Pocket Book
- E-Books: Managing Health and Safety Learning made simple
- E-Books: Book of Questions and Answers Safety Health
- E-Books: Fire Risk and safety law and its practical application
- Work at Height Checklist
- E-Books: A to Z Health and Safety Book
- Health Safety at Work Improvement Action Plan