Fire Protection Engineering in Building Design by Jane I. Lataille. A clear and concise reference guide on integrating fire protection design, Fire Protection Engineering in Building Design encompasses not only the basic information on the functions, design, and applications of fire protection systems; but also reveals how this information can and should be integrated with every other major engineering discipline. Protecting people, buildings and the environment from the impact of fire requires a comprehensive, systematic approach that includes the analysis of fire hazards as well as the design, installation, and maintenance of fire detection, suppression, and communications systems. Jane Lataille takes the reader beyond these basic issues and includes information on mitigating potential fire damage through proper design and construction of buildings, industrial processes, and utility systems. Through specific examples, the reader sees how fire protection engineering can be integrated with mechanical, electrical, structural, and chemical engineering. The book also includes a section on writing fire protection specifications as well as a comprehensive reference list. * Assure effective fire protection design through engineering * Avoid costly fire protection redesign * Effectively integrate fire protection features into project specifications.
Fire protection is an integral part of the built environment. As such, it should always be engineered in conjunction with the overall building design. Multi-discipline engineering firms sometimes have engineers of other disciplines design the fire protection systems; sometimes they outsource the fire protection design to engineering consultants. Either option can result in inefficiency, improper design, or excess cost if not properly coordinated.
Fire protection design was once almost exclusively prescriptive. In other words, projects incorporated specific fire protection measures prescribed by codes. Prescriptive fire protection design is still commonly used on many projects.
Engineers in disciplines other than fire protection are often charged with designing the fire protection in accordance with prescriptive code requirements. Proper design of fire protection systems for a prescriptive-type project requires coordinating the fire protection design with the overall building design and integrating the fire protection design features with the other engineering disciplines. Fire protection features that are not designed while a building is being planned can sometimes be very difficult to incorporate later. Adding these features later increases the cost.
leaving them out compromises the level of protection provided in the building.
In contrast with prescriptive design, performance-based fire protection design considers how fire protection systems perform given the selected building design and its expected fire loading. Performance-based fire protection design is steadily becoming more common. This type of design requires very close coordination with the building design because every change specified to the building can affect fire protection system performance. Following prescriptive code requirements and coordinating them with the other engineering disciplines is not sufficient.
Table of Contents of Fire Protection Engineering in Building Design
- he Importance of Integrating Fire Protection Design
- The Professional Society
- What FPEs Do.
- How Fire Protection Engineering Differs
- Preventing and Protecting Against Fire
- Reasons for Installing Fire Protection Systems
- Fire Risk and safety law and its practical application
- Protecting Assets.
- Relating Design Features to Function.
- Design Elements
- Fire Science.
- Design Fire Scenarios.
- Other Design Considerations.
- Examples of Performance-Based Design
- Fire Safety Management Handbook 3rd edition
- Prescriptive Codes.
- Traditional Project Specifications
- E-Books: Handbook of Petrochemical Processes
- E-Books: Safety With Machinery
- E-Books: Fire Protection Engineering in Building Design
- E-Books: Environmental management in oil and gas exploration and production
- E-Books: Guidelines on the marine assessment of F(P)SOs
- E-Books: Hoisting and Rigging Safety Manual
- E-Books: Fire Engineering and Emergency Planning
- E-Books: The Health and Safety Handbook
- E-Books: Environmental Health and Hazard Risk Assessment principles and calculations
- E-Books: Safety and Health for Engineers
- E-Books: Practical Guide To Electrical Grounding
- E-Books: A Guide to Fire Safety Engineering
- E-Books: IOSH A Healthy Return
- E-Books: Fire Alarm Systems A Reference Manual
- E-Books: Fire Safety Management Handbook 3rd edition
- E-Books: Dictionary of Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health
- E-Books: Health and Safety Pocket Book
- E-Books: Managing Health and Safety Learning made simple
- E-Books: Book of Questions and Answers Safety Health
- E-Books: Fire Risk and safety law and its practical application
- E-Books: A to Z Health and Safety Book
- E-Books: Industrial Safety Management
- E-Books: NIOSH Pocket guide to chemical hazards
- E-Books: Occupational Safety and Health Law Handbook
- E-Books: Industrial Hygiene Simplified
- E-Books: Managing your shiftwork
- E-Books: Learning from Accidents
- E-Books: A Practical Guide to Fire Alarm Systems
- E-Books: The Essential Manager’s Handbook
- E-Books: Handbook of Rigging Lifting, Hoisting, and Scaffolding for Construction and Industrial Operations
- E-Books: Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls Improving Food Safety in Human Food Manufacturing for Food Businesses
- E-Books: COVID-19 Information and Risk Assessment
- E-Books: Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- E-Books:Introduction to Environmental Management
- E-Books:The Fire Prevention Handbook for Home safety
- E-Books:Electrical Safety in the Construction Industry
- E-Books:SLIPS, TRIPS AND FALLS: ADVANCING YOUR SAFETY PROGRAM
- E-Books:Safety The Safety Professionals Expanded Guide to LOCKOUT TAGOUT
- E-Books:Preparation safety data sheets for hazardous chemicals
- E-Books:Hot Weather Survival Guide
- E-Books:Occupational Hygiene and Risk Management
- E-Books:The safe isolation of plant and equipment
- E-Books:Occupational Safety and Health Simplified for the Food Manufacturing Industry
- E-Books:Improving Safety culture
- E-Books:Introduction to Health and Safety in construction,2nd Ed
- E-Books:Introduction to Fire Safety Management
- E-Books:Means of Escape from Fire
- E-Books:Managing Health and Safety in the Dental Practice ( Manual)
- E-Books:Managing Noise and Vibration at Work
- E-Books:Warehousing and storage
- E-Books:Risk Management.10.Principles
- E-Books:Stress prevention at work checkpoints
- E-Books:Indoor Air Pollution
- E-Books:Fundamentals of Fire Protection for the Safety Professional
- E-Books:Guidelines for Gas cylinders safety
- E-Books:Job Hazard Analysis