Fire Protection Engineering in Building Design by Jane I. Lataille. A clear and concise reference guide on integrating fire protection design, Fire Protection Engineering in Building Design encompasses not only the basic information on the functions, design, and applications of fire protection systems; but also reveals how this information can and should be integrated with every other major engineering discipline. Protecting people, buildings and the environment from the impact of fire requires a comprehensive, systematic approach that includes the analysis of fire hazards as well as the design, installation, and maintenance of fire detection, suppression, and communications systems. Jane Lataille takes the reader beyond these basic issues and includes information on mitigating potential fire damage through proper design and construction of buildings, industrial processes, and utility systems. Through specific examples, the reader sees how fire protection engineering can be integrated with mechanical, electrical, structural, and chemical engineering. The book also includes a section on writing fire protection specifications as well as a comprehensive reference list. * Assure effective fire protection design through engineering * Avoid costly fire protection redesign * Effectively integrate fire protection features into project specifications.
Fire protection is an integral part of the built environment. As such, it should always be engineered in conjunction with the overall building design. Multi-discipline engineering firms sometimes have engineers of other disciplines design the fire protection systems; sometimes they outsource the fire protection design to engineering consultants. Either option can result in inefficiency, improper design, or excess cost if not properly coordinated.
Fire protection design was once almost exclusively prescriptive. In other words, projects incorporated specific fire protection measures prescribed by codes. Prescriptive fire protection design is still commonly used on many projects.
Engineers in disciplines other than fire protection are often charged with designing the fire protection in accordance with prescriptive code requirements. Proper design of fire protection systems for a prescriptive-type project requires coordinating the fire protection design with the overall building design and integrating the fire protection design features with the other engineering disciplines. Fire protection features that are not designed while a building is being planned can sometimes be very difficult to incorporate later. Adding these features later increases the cost.
leaving them out compromises the level of protection provided in the building.
In contrast with prescriptive design, performance-based fire protection design considers how fire protection systems perform given the selected building design and its expected fire loading. Performance-based fire protection design is steadily becoming more common. This type of design requires very close coordination with the building design because every change specified to the building can affect fire protection system performance. Following prescriptive code requirements and coordinating them with the other engineering disciplines is not sufficient.
Table of Contents of Fire Protection Engineering in Building Design
- he Importance of Integrating Fire Protection Design
- The Professional Society
- What FPEs Do.
- How Fire Protection Engineering Differs
- Preventing and Protecting Against Fire
- Reasons for Installing Fire Protection Systems
- Fire Risk and safety law and its practical application
- Protecting Assets.
- Relating Design Features to Function.
- Design Elements
- Fire Science.
- Design Fire Scenarios.
- Other Design Considerations.
- Examples of Performance-Based Design
- Fire Safety Management Handbook 3rd edition
- Prescriptive Codes.
- Traditional Project Specifications
- E-Books: Fire and Emergency Drill Manual and Building Inspection Guide
- E-Books: Health and Safety: Risk Management 5th edition
- E-Books: Fire Protection systems -Third edition 2021
- E-Books: Fire Safety Logbook templates
- E-Books: From Accidents to Zero
- E-Books: Electric Safety Practice and Standards
- Your steps to chemical safety
- E-Books: Ergonomics and Psychology Developments in Theory and Practice
- E-Books: HAZOPS Should BE fun-The Stream-Based HAZOP
- E-Books: Safety Health and Environmental Auditing
- E-Books: A Quick Guide to Health and Safety
- E-Books: Occupational Ergonomics A Practical Approach
- E-Books: Job Hazard Analysis A Guide for Voluntary Compliance and Beyond
- E-Books: Electrical Safety of Low Voltage Systems
- E-Books: Your Guide to A Healthy Heart
- E-Books: Fall Prevention and Protection Principles Guidelines and practices
- E-Books: Topics in Safety, Risk, Reliability, and Quality
- E-Books: Occupational Safety and Health Fundamental Principles and Philosophies
- E-Books: Risk Assessment A Practical Guide to Assessing Operational Risks
- E-Books: Electrical Safety Code Manual
- E-Books: Career Guide to the Safety Profession
- E-Books: Introduction to Process Safety for Undergraduates and Engineers
- E-Books: Occupational Safety and Health Simplified for the Chemical Industry
- E-Books: Simultaneous Operations SIMOPS Training Material
- E-Books: HAZOP-Guide to Best Practice Third Edition
- E-Books: Health, Safety, and Environmental Management in Offshore and Petroleum Engineering
- E-Books: A Handbook of Industrial Ecology
- E-Books: Introduction to International Health and Safety at Work
- E-Books: Fire Safety Equipment Guidelines
- E-Books: Occupational health and safety management General guidelines for safe working during the COVID-19 pandemic
- E-Books: Biological Risk Engineering Handbook Infection Control and Decontamination
- E-Books: Accident Incident Prevention Techniques 2nd Edition
- E-Books: Handbook of Petrochemical Processes
- E-Books: Safety With Machinery
- E-Books: Fire Protection Engineering in Building Design
- E-Books: Environmental management in oil and gas exploration and production
- E-Books: Guidelines on the marine assessment of F(P)SOs
- E-Books: Hoisting and Rigging Safety Manual
- E-Books: Fire Engineering and Emergency Planning
- E-Books: The Health and Safety Handbook
- E-Books: Environmental Health and Hazard Risk Assessment principles and calculations
- E-Books: Safety and Health for Engineers
- E-Books: Practical Guide To Electrical Grounding
- E-Books: A Guide to Fire Safety Engineering
- E-Books: IOSH A Healthy Return
- E-Books: Fire Alarm Systems A Reference Manual
- E-Books: Fire Safety Management Handbook 3rd edition
- E-Books: Dictionary of Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health
- E-Books: Health and Safety Pocket Book
- E-Books: Managing Health and Safety Learning made simple
- E-Books: Book of Questions and Answers Safety Health
- E-Books: Fire Risk and safety law and its practical application
- E-Books: A to Z Health and Safety Book
- E-Books: Industrial Safety Management
- E-Books: NIOSH Pocket guide to chemical hazards
- E-Books: Occupational Safety and Health Law Handbook