While the crew was moving lashing materials (chains, shackles, and turnbuckles) from the garage deck into a storage space, the bosun suffered a serious finger injury. The incident occurred as part of routine housekeeping activity on a vessel at anchor. The bosun was in the storage space putting equipment into storage bins. These bins were under shelves in a limited space. Suddenly, the turnbuckle slipped on the bosun’s finger while he was placing the turnbuckle in the storage bin. The thread of the turnbuckle hit his finger. He took off his gloves, to find that his middle fingertip was missing and it was found inside his glove.
The bosun was sent to the hospital for treatment; after 5 days he was sent to a home where he could recover.
What were the causes? What went wrong?
None of the crew saw exactly what happened. The crew member helping the bosun just turned around to get another turnbuckle. The crew noted afterward that there was nothing different than normal – this was a routine task, no rush, just easy clearing of the lashing materials from the garage deck.
It was noted that there was limited storage for handling the turnbuckles, and the device slipped on the bosun’s finger. More job preparation – removing the bin from the shelves using a pallet truck – might have helped but this was not done as the storage bin, which was very heavy, was left in place.
Actions taken & lessons learned?
- Moved the storage bins under the shelves to a better location;
- Devised procedure to eliminate manual handling of the turnbuckles.
Source and download
|Download:||Safety flash (322 kB)|
Read More Safety Flash
- Safety Flash: Fatality: explosive failure of corroded fire extinguisher
- Safety Flash: Crewman fell to his death through faulty grating
- Safety Flash: Fatal accident during cargo operations on Karina C
- Safety Flash: Overturning of the Lifeboat Kristin Faye
- Safety Flash: Short circuit on 440v AC bus bars-arc flash
- Safety Flash: Towing Fatality
- Safety Flash: Unsafe lifting operations
- Safety Flash: Electric Shock Resulting in Burn
- Safety Flash: LTI- Loss of Finger Tip and Nail
- Safety Flash: Explosion And Fire Onboard The chemical Tanker STOLT Greenland
- Safety Flash: Finger injury caused by incorrectly secured console cover
- Safety Flash: double Man overboard Resulting in one fatality
- Safety Flash: Alcohol-based hand sanitizer warning
- Safety Flash: Dump truck operator fatally electrocuted by high-voltage line
- Safety Flash: Laborer Dies After Footing Collapse – North Carolina
- Safety Flash: Reducing the risk of propane explosions in food trucks
- Safety Flash: Teen Roofer Electrocuted when Ladder Contacts High Voltage Power Line
- Safety Flash: Worker dies from carbon monoxide poisoning while using pressure washer
- Safety Flash: Explosion during welding operation
- A Bathtub Refinisher Dies from Methylene Chloride Exposure :Safety Flash
- Landscaper dies after auger entanglement:Safety Flash
- Worker dies after falling from scaffold
- Fatality Investigation: Orchard Worker Dies After Falling Off Tractor
- LTI: Fall from height leading to Multiple Fractures
- Operator dies when forklift falls off loading dock
- Worker struck, killed by outrigger
- Worker killed by platform
- Scaffolding Components
- Construction Worker Killed When Pipe Rolls Off a Trailer
- Protecting workers from falls
- Near-Miss: Shackle Configuration
- Improper use of lifeline results in death of worker