E-Books: Managing Health and Safety Learning made simple5 min read
Managing Health and Safety Learning made simple by Jacqueline Jeynes. Managing health and safety effectively outlines the basic principles that underpin effective health and safety management, identifying hazards, assessing risks, and making sure adequate controls are in place to safeguard people from harm. It assumes the reader has experience in a workplace, perhaps with some basic health and safety risk awareness. It is vital, therefore, that everyone understands their role in managing health and safety risks.
Managing health and safety effectively in the workplace is often seen as the responsibility of a designated ‘expert’. However, everyone in the organization has the responsibility for making sure their actions do not cause harm or injury to others. It is vital, therefore, that everyone understands their role in managing health and safety risks
This Learning Made Simple guide outlines the basic principles that underpin effective health and safety management, identifying hazards, assessing risks, and making sure adequate controls are in place to safeguard people from harm. It assumes the reader has experience in a workplace, perhaps with some basic health and safety risk awareness.
It is intended to help the reader identify hazards and risks associated with their own workplace, making sure that they (and other workers) take appropriate actions to eliminate or reduce these risks. While it covers the main elements associated with managing H&S in certificate or diploma courses such as those offered by NEBOSH and CIEH for instance, it does not cover specific regulations in detail.
It is primarily a practical tool to help team leaders, supervisors and managers ensure their own health and safety as well as that of others in their team. I hope that you find it useful in your workplace.
Many people refer to Health & Safety as commonsense and say there is too much regulation. To some extent, this is a reasonable statement, but it is also true that one person’s commonsense is not the same as another’s it develops over time as you experience life at home and at work.
Everyone perceives risk in a different way, depending on age, life experiences, health and safety expertise, skills, and, in some cases, gender.
In January 2007 several companies were found guilty of failing to ensure the safety of a worker who fell to his death through a roof light when working on a fragile asbestos cement roof. The HSE (Health and Safety Executive) brought the prosecution, stating:
“It was only Mr. Moran’s second day and he had not worked on a site before. He had been given no training or protection and was paid cash in hand. It was a shambles of a job.”If you run a business or work for a company where you have some
responsibility for health and safety, you cannot rely on the presumed commonsense of others to keep everyone safe from harm or injury.
Health and Safety Management covers the main principles of good occupational health and safety (OH&S) management including risk assessment, responsibilities, and typical ways to record your findings.
There may be particular hazards in your workplace that need more formal assessment by a specialist – for example, air monitoring or fibre sampling and testing – but the basic principles should allow you to
establish a sound system for managing OH&S risks in your workplace.
The Contents of Managing Health and Safety Learning made simple
- Introduction to Managing health and safety
- The initial review
- Identify hazards
- Health hazards
- Controlling risks
- Risk assessment
- Fire risks
- Managing risks
- Your H&S policy
- Industry sector examples
Download the book
- E-Books: Changing the Workplace Safety Culture free download
- E-Books: Site Emergency Planning Workbook
- E-Books: Load Restraint Guide
- E-Books: Essential Practices for Creating, Strengthening, and Sustaining Process Safety Culture
- E-Books: System Safety Engineering and Risk Assessment
- E-Books: Permit-Required Confined Spaces
- E-Books: Is it Safe to Enter Confined Space?
- E-Books: 5-Minute Workplace Safety Talks
- E-Books: Safety Culture and High-Risk Environments
- E-Books: Practical Guide to Industrial Safety
- E-Books: Slip, Trip, and Fall Prevention for Healthcare Workers
- E-Books: Health and Safety at Work Key Terms
- E-Books: Fundamentals of Process Safety Engineering
- E-Books: Gas Detection Hand Book
- E-Books: Occupational health and safety management systems ANSI-AIHA-z10-2012
- E-Books: Hot Work on Drums and Tanks
- E-Books: Human Fatigue Risk Management
- E-Books: Guidelines for the provision of facilities and general safety in the construction industry
- E-Books: Handbook of Training in Mine Rescue and Recovery Operations ( 2021)
- E-Books: Code of Practice for the Safe Use of Lifting Equipment – Edition 9 (Nov 2019)
- E-Books: Free Forklift Health and Safety Best Practices Guideline
- E-Books: Handbook of Hazardous Chemical Properties
- E-Books: Human Performance Improvement through Human Error Prevention
- E-Books: Principles Of Fire Risk Assessment In Buildings
- E-Books: Investigation of Occupational Accidents and Diseases
- E-Books: Radiation Protection and Safety in Industrial Radiography
- E-Books: Basic Guide to System Safety, Third Edition
- E-Books: Food Safety Management-A Practical Guide for the Food Industry
- E-Books: Safety identification: Escape and evacuation plan signs- ISO 23601
- E-Books: Safety at Work
- E-Books: The Safety-Critical Systems Handbook 4th edition
- E-Books: Fundamental principles of occupational health and safety
- E-Books: Fire Safety Risk assessment Guide – Sleeping Accommodation
- E-Books: Mental health at work series
- E-Books: Live Fire Training: Principles and Practice
- E-Books: Pre-Startup Safety Review Guide
- E-Books: Fire and Emergency Drill Manual and Building Inspection Guide
- E-Books: Health and Safety: Risk Management 5th edition
- E-Books: Fire Protection systems -Third edition 2021
- E-Books: Fire Safety Logbook templates
- E-Books: From Accidents to Zero
- E-Books: Electric Safety Practice and Standards
- Your steps to chemical safety
- E-Books: Ergonomics and Psychology Developments in Theory and Practice
- E-Books: HAZOPS Should BE fun-The Stream-Based HAZOP
- E-Books: Safety Health and Environmental Auditing
- E-Books: A Quick Guide to Health and Safety
- E-Books: Occupational Ergonomics A Practical Approach
- E-Books: Job Hazard Analysis A Guide for Voluntary Compliance and Beyond
- E-Books: Electrical Safety of Low Voltage Systems
- E-Books: Your Guide to A Healthy Heart
- E-Books: Fall Prevention and Protection Principles Guidelines and practices
- E-Books: Topics in Safety, Risk, Reliability, and Quality
- E-Books: Occupational Safety and Health Fundamental Principles and Philosophies
- E-Books: Risk Assessment A Practical Guide to Assessing Operational Risks
- E-Books: Electrical Safety Code Manual
1 thought on “E-Books: Managing Health and Safety Learning made simple”