Source: HeliOffshore Infoshare 2020-013
This report is in relation to a Company customer with an employee who used alcohol-based hand gel sanitizer, as per the current recommendations for COVID-19 personal hygiene requirements.
After application, but before the liquid sanitizer had fully evaporated and dried, the individual touched a metal surface where a build-up of the static created an ignition source and the sanitizer ignited, resulting in an almost invisible flame on both hands.
The individual managed to extinguish the flames but was left with first and second-degree burns
What went wrong?
Hand sanitizer gels contain concentrations of alcohol. Once the hand sanitizer is applied, individuals must make sure the gel has a suitable time to dry In the interest of safety, remember that alcohol vapors can ignite if exposed to an ignition source, such as light switches or cigarette lighters.
Corrective actions and recommendations.
- When using the alcohol-based hand gel sanitizers, ensure the gel is given a suitable time to fully dry/evaporate.
- Avoid touching any surface until the gel has fully dried. Any form of ignition source has the potential to cause the same issues as experienced by the individual.
- If unsure about using the alcohol-based sanitizers, washing hands with hot soapy water have the same effect as the hand gel.
Read More Safety Flash
- Safety Flash: LTI- Loss of Finger Tip and Nail
- Safety Flash: Explosion And Fire Onboard The chemical Tanker STOLT Greenland
- Safety Flash: Finger injury caused by incorrectly secured console cover
- Safety Flash: double Man overboard Resulting in one fatality
- Safety Flash: Alcohol-based hand sanitizer warning
- Safety Flash: Dump truck operator fatally electrocuted by high-voltage line
- Safety Flash: Laborer Dies After Footing Collapse – North Carolina
- Safety Flash: Reducing the risk of propane explosions in food trucks
- Safety Flash: Teen Roofer Electrocuted when Ladder Contacts High Voltage Power Line
- Safety Flash: Worker dies from carbon monoxide poisoning while using pressure washer
- Safety Flash: Explosion during welding operation
- A Bathtub Refinisher Dies from Methylene Chloride Exposure :Safety Flash
- Landscaper dies after auger entanglement:Safety Flash
- Worker dies after falling from scaffold
- Fatality Investigation: Orchard Worker Dies After Falling Off Tractor
- LTI: Fall from height leading to Multiple Fractures
- Operator dies when forklift falls off loading dock
- Worker struck, killed by outrigger
- Worker killed by platform
- Scaffolding Components
- Construction Worker Killed When Pipe Rolls Off a Trailer
- Protecting workers from falls
- Near-Miss: Shackle Configuration
- Improper use of lifeline results in death of worker