Safety Flash: Fatality: explosive failure of corroded fire extinguisher3 min read
A person was killed when there was a catastrophic explosive failure of a corroded fire extinguisher. The incident occurred when the person was discharging a corroded handheld cartridge-type, dry chemical powder fire extinguisher which had been condemned during an annual third-party inspection.
When the internal CO2 cylinder was activated (225psi/17 bar) to energize the fire extinguisher, the unit ruptured at the corroded base, exploded, and struck the person causing critical and fatal head injuries.
What went wrong? What were the causes?
A condemned fire extinguisher was discharged. Those discharging the extinguisher did not appreciate the danger involved and did not adequately plan the job.
The base of the extinguisher was badly corroded. Although condemned during a third-party inspection and moved to an isolated storage area, a decision was made to discharge the extinguisher to ‘make it safe’ before transporting it to shore.
Lessons and actions
The following points were made by the company involved:
- Minimize Corrosion
- Regular monthly inspection of fire extinguishers, particularly if exposed to the elements;
- Mount fire extinguishers off the deck/floor in manufacturer-approved mounting devices that reduce the chance of moisture from being trapped under the fire extinguisher base.
- Third-party inspections and condemnations
- Ensure that fire extinguisher disposal is managed and conducted by qualified third party personnel as per the manufacturer’s specifications, or any local regulatory requirements;
- Condemned fire extinguishers should not be discharged by the crew.
- Fire extinguishers using a cartridge to charge the main fire extinguisher cylinder should be handled with care
- The fire extinguisher should be placed on the deck at arm’s length from the body;
- Point the top of the extinguisher away from the body while holding the handle and hose in one hand;
- Trigger the CO2 charging cylinder with the other hand;
- Do not energize these types of fire extinguishers near the body.
- Consideration may be given to using stored pressure type extinguishers rather than the CO2 cartridge type.
you can download the Safety Flash by clicking download below
These flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing wider dissemination of lessons learned from them. The information below has been provided in good faith by members and should be reviewed individually by recipients, who will determine its relevance to their own operations. The effectiveness of the safety flash system depends on receiving reports from members in order to pass on the information and avoid repeat incidents.
Source and download
|Published:||June 09 2021|
|Download:||Safety flash (333 kB)|
Download the Safety Flash
Read More Safety Flash
- Safety Flash: Mobile concrete placing boom overturn incidents
- Safety Flash: Not Following Work permit and Isolation Procedure
- Safety Flash: Floorman arm pinned by Pipe Handling Equipment
- Safety Flash: Suspension Trauma
- Safety Flash: Fatality: explosive failure of corroded fire extinguisher
- Safety Flash: Crewman fell to his death through faulty grating
- Safety Flash: Fatal accident during cargo operations on Karina C
- Safety Flash: Overturning of the Lifeboat Kristin Faye
- Safety Flash: Short circuit on 440v AC bus bars-arc flash
- Safety Flash: Towing Fatality
- Safety Flash: Unsafe lifting operations
- Safety Flash: Electric Shock Resulting in Burn
- Safety Flash: LTI- Loss of Finger Tip and Nail
- Safety Flash: Explosion And Fire Onboard The chemical Tanker STOLT Greenland
- Safety Flash: Finger injury caused by incorrectly secured console cover
- Safety Flash: double Man overboard Resulting in one fatality
- Safety Flash: Alcohol-based hand sanitizer warning
- Safety Flash: Dump truck operator fatally electrocuted by high-voltage line
- Safety Flash: Laborer Dies After Footing Collapse – North Carolina
- Safety Flash: Reducing the risk of propane explosions in food trucks
- Safety Flash: Teen Roofer Electrocuted when Ladder Contacts High Voltage Power Line
- Safety Flash: Worker dies from carbon monoxide poisoning while using pressure washer
- Safety Flash: Explosion during welding operation
- A Bathtub Refinisher Dies from Methylene Chloride Exposure :Safety Flash
- Landscaper dies after auger entanglement:Safety Flash
- Worker dies after falling from scaffold
- Fatality Investigation: Orchard Worker Dies After Falling Off Tractor
- LTI: Fall from height leading to Multiple Fractures
- Operator dies when forklift falls off loading dock
- Worker struck, killed by outrigger
- Worker killed by platform
- Scaffolding Components
- Construction Worker Killed When Pipe Rolls Off a Trailer
- Protecting workers from falls
- Near-Miss: Shackle Configuration
- Improper use of lifeline results in death of worker