The United States’ Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) has published BSEE Panel Report 2021-001 into a fatal fall from a platform in the Gulf of Mexico in 2019.
A night shift production operator died when he fell into the sea through a rusty grating on the platform. His body was never recovered. Less than 24 hours prior to the incident, a single section of severely corroded and deteriorated grating, posing a walking and working surface hazard, was identified on the north side of the well bay by a supervisor, who said that the grating section felt “spongey” underfoot. Upon examination, he found that bearing bars at one end of the grating section had deteriorated.
What were the causes?
The investigation by BSEE found several probable and possible causes – including communication breakdown, poorly maintained walking surfaces, and inadequate barricade installation.
- There was a failure to maintain all walking and working surfaces on the facility in a safe condition;
- Supervisors did not fulfill their responsibilities within the relevant, established Safe Work Practices (SWPs) when they:
- failed to promptly correct or prevent personnel from accessing the hazardous area;
- failed to stop work and warn all personnel of the hazardous area.
- The operator and its contractors failed to follow the agreed-upon terms and conditions within their respective Safety and Environmental Management Systems (SEMS) bridging arrangements.
- Ensure crew are informed about all identified hazards in a timely and meaningful way;
- When hazards are identified, fix them;
- A better understanding of and agreement between, operators and contractors in terms of safety management systems bridging arrangements.
you can download the Safety Flash by clicking download below
These flashes summarise key safety matters and incidents, allowing wider dissemination of lessons learned from them. The information below has been provided in good faith by members and should be reviewed individually by recipients, who will determine its relevance to their own operations. The effectiveness of the safety flash system depends on receiving reports from members in order to pass on the information and avoid repeat incidents.
Source and download
|Published:||April 21 2021|
|Download:||Safety flash (333 kB)|
Download the Report
Read More Safety Flash
- Safety Flash: Mobile concrete placing boom overturn incidents
- Safety Flash: Not Following Work permit and Isolation Procedure
- Safety Flash: Floorman arm pinned by Pipe Handling Equipment
- Safety Flash: Suspension Trauma
- Safety Flash: Fatality: explosive failure of corroded fire extinguisher
- Safety Flash: Crewman fell to his death through faulty grating
- Safety Flash: Fatal accident during cargo operations on Karina C
- Safety Flash: Overturning of the Lifeboat Kristin Faye
- Safety Flash: Short circuit on 440v AC bus bars-arc flash
- Safety Flash: Towing Fatality
- Safety Flash: Unsafe lifting operations
- Safety Flash: Electric Shock Resulting in Burn
- Safety Flash: LTI- Loss of Finger Tip and Nail
- Safety Flash: Explosion And Fire Onboard The chemical Tanker STOLT Greenland
- Safety Flash: Finger injury caused by incorrectly secured console cover
- Safety Flash: double Man overboard Resulting in one fatality
- Safety Flash: Alcohol-based hand sanitizer warning
- Safety Flash: Dump truck operator fatally electrocuted by high-voltage line
- Safety Flash: Laborer Dies After Footing Collapse – North Carolina
- Safety Flash: Reducing the risk of propane explosions in food trucks
- Safety Flash: Teen Roofer Electrocuted when Ladder Contacts High Voltage Power Line
- Safety Flash: Worker dies from carbon monoxide poisoning while using pressure washer
- Safety Flash: Explosion during welding operation
- A Bathtub Refinisher Dies from Methylene Chloride Exposure :Safety Flash
- Landscaper dies after auger entanglement:Safety Flash
- Worker dies after falling from scaffold
- Fatality Investigation: Orchard Worker Dies After Falling Off Tractor
- LTI: Fall from height leading to Multiple Fractures
- Operator dies when forklift falls off loading dock
- Worker struck, killed by outrigger
- Worker killed by platform
- Scaffolding Components
- Construction Worker Killed When Pipe Rolls Off a Trailer
- Protecting workers from falls
- Near-Miss: Shackle Configuration
- Improper use of lifeline results in death of worker