The National Irish Safety Organisation (NISO) has produced this book of over 1,400 questions and answers to help persons and organizations develop their acumen in health and safety.
NISO recognized that no amount of legislation or penalties will be
effective unless people can be convinced of the need to change their the behaviour to become safety conscious in order to avoid hazards and risks in the workplace. This can only be done through information and training.
NISO has always been convinced that safety and health quizzes have an important role to play along with other forms of training. It is with this in mind that this book was produced to give persons a better understanding of safety and health issues. To aid the reader, the questions and answers have been divided into 31 sections.
This book will prove useful to persons and organizations who may wish to have in-house safety and health quizzes or for those preparing for the NISO Safety and Health Quiz. (Details available from NISO). The book can also be used for reference purposes.
AC C I D ENT S
- Q. What is an Accident?
A. It is an unplanned happening.
- Q. What is an ‘incident’?
A. An incident is an unplanned event with the potential to lead to an accident.
- Q. What is a ‘hazard’?
A. A hazard is anything with the potential to cause harm.
- Q. Why remove your gloves before you remove your goggles?
A. To prevent contamination of the face or eyes by a substance or substances
that are on your gloves.
- Q. Is running a suitable pace for a factory or workshop?
A. No. – You should always walk.
- Q. Give two reasons for not piling a trolley high with goods?
A. 1. Obscures Vision
- May cause back strain.
- Q. Should accident prevention be left to the Safety Manager as the
a representative of management, and the supervisory staff in a place of work?
A. No – It is the responsibility of all concerned in the workplace.
- Q. Has a Safety Officer or Safety Manager a responsibility to see that Safety
measures are complied with?
A. Yes – As an agent of management with delegated responsibility.
- Q. Give two reasons why all accidents should be reported immediately?
A. 1. So that an investigation to determine the cause may be instituted.
- So that injuries may be attended to.
- Q. What two main precautions must be taken when using a safety belt?
A. 1. It should be fastened to a secure point.
- The free-fall should be kept to a minimum.
The Main Section of the Safety Question Answer Book: e Contents of Provide clear guidance on staff training in basic and specialist fire safety:
- Compressed Air & Gases
- Ergonomics and Human Factors
- Fire/Emergency Planning
- First Aid
- Flammable Liquids
- Good Housekeeping
- Industrial Diseases
- Lifts, & Lifting Tackle
- Manual Handling
- Mechanical Hazards
- Occupational Health
- Office Safety
- Protective Clothing
- Rules of the Road
- Safe Access
- Safety and Risk Management
- Safety at Sea
- Safety on Machines
- Temperature and Heating
Download the book
- E-Books: Fire Service Features of Buildings and Fire Protection Systems
- E-Books: Evaluation of Fire Safety free download
- E-Books: PPE for Chemical, Biological, and Radiological Hazards free
- E-Books: Changing the Workplace Safety Culture free download
- E-Books: Site Emergency Planning Workbook
- E-Books: Load Restraint Guide
- E-Books: Essential Practices for Creating, Strengthening, and Sustaining Process Safety Culture
- E-Books: System Safety Engineering and Risk Assessment
- E-Books: Permit-Required Confined Spaces
- E-Books: Is it Safe to Enter Confined Space?
- E-Books: 5-Minute Workplace Safety Talks
- E-Books: Safety Culture and High-Risk Environments
- E-Books: Practical Guide to Industrial Safety
- E-Books: Slip, Trip, and Fall Prevention for Healthcare Workers
- E-Books: Health and Safety at Work Key Terms
- E-Books: Fundamentals of Process Safety Engineering
- E-Books: Gas Detection Hand Book
- E-Books: Occupational health and safety management systems ANSI-AIHA-z10-2012
- E-Books: Hot Work on Drums and Tanks
- E-Books: Human Fatigue Risk Management
- E-Books: Guidelines for the provision of facilities and general safety in the construction industry
- E-Books: Handbook of Training in Mine Rescue and Recovery Operations ( 2021)
- E-Books: Code of Practice for the Safe Use of Lifting Equipment – Edition 9 (Nov 2019)
- E-Books: Free Forklift Health and Safety Best Practices Guideline
- E-Books: Handbook of Hazardous Chemical Properties
- E-Books: Human Performance Improvement through Human Error Prevention
- E-Books: Principles Of Fire Risk Assessment In Buildings
- E-Books: Investigation of Occupational Accidents and Diseases
- E-Books: Radiation Protection and Safety in Industrial Radiography
- E-Books: Basic Guide to System Safety, Third Edition
- E-Books: Food Safety Management-A Practical Guide for the Food Industry
- E-Books: Safety identification: Escape and evacuation plan signs- ISO 23601
- E-Books: Safety at Work
- E-Books: The Safety-Critical Systems Handbook 4th edition
- E-Books: Fundamental principles of occupational health and safety
- E-Books: Fire Safety Risk assessment Guide – Sleeping Accommodation
- E-Books: Mental health at work series
- E-Books: Live Fire Training: Principles and Practice
- E-Books: Pre-Startup Safety Review Guide
- E-Books: Fire and Emergency Drill Manual and Building Inspection Guide
- E-Books: Health and Safety: Risk Management 5th edition
- E-Books: Fire Protection systems -Third edition 2021
- E-Books: Fire Safety Logbook templates
- E-Books: From Accidents to Zero
- E-Books: Electric Safety Practice and Standards
- Your steps to chemical safety
- E-Books: Ergonomics and Psychology Developments in Theory and Practice
- E-Books: HAZOPS Should BE fun-The Stream-Based HAZOP
- E-Books: Safety Health and Environmental Auditing
- E-Books: A Quick Guide to Health and Safety
- E-Books: Occupational Ergonomics A Practical Approach
- E-Books: Job Hazard Analysis A Guide for Voluntary Compliance and Beyond
- E-Books: Electrical Safety of Low Voltage Systems
- E-Books: Your Guide to A Healthy Heart
- E-Books: Fall Prevention and Protection Principles Guidelines and practices
- E-Books: Topics in Safety, Risk, Reliability, and Quality