This book Managing your shiftwork has been produced to help people understand the nature of shiftwork and is designed to assist individuals in coping with this lifestyle. Everything in it has been extensively researched both inside and outside of the industry for shift workers and is based on the most up-to-date information available.
This guide has been produced for both shift workers and those who interact with shift workers’ family and work colleagues. It is to help inform them of how and why working shifts can affect their lives. On a basic level, for many shift workers, it is sometimes difficult to reconcile the needs of their working time arrangements with their domestic and social arrangements. At the outset, however, please note that it is not expected that you are experiencing, or will experience problems. This is not an encouragement to have difficulties with your shiftwork! In fact,
shiftwork can be a positive aspect of many people’s lives.
Nevertheless, we cannot ignore the extensive research and anecdotal evidence that shift and night work can have detrimental effects at some point in many people’s shift working careers and it would be neglectful to ignore this.
Shift working can negatively influence your behavior, health,, and wellbeing. Shift workers tend to get less sleep when compared to dayworkers, for a host of reasons, and not just when working nights. This lack of sleep can result in tiredness and fatigue, which in turn can affect a person’s performance at work, their social interactions at home, and also potentially their health.
By attempting to understand why we feel the way we do when working shifts, it is possible to develop (individual) coping strategies to alleviate the effects of shiftwork. Most of us are on shifts by our own free will, it’s our choice based on a balance between the pro’s (chosen career, more pay and time off during the week) and the con’s (tiredness, loss of social opportunities, etc.) Some people cope better than others, however, most could potentially cope better than they currently do.
The general aims of this booklet and are to provide:
- An overview of the typical work schedule-related problems reported by shift workers and background information about why shiftwork can be problematic.
- Advice about dealing with specific shiftwork-related difficulties, offering strategies that shift workers, in general, don’t have access to.
- Additions to your knowledge to help improve managing your shiftwork life even if no specific problem is of concern at present.
All of this is to help you individualize your approach to improving how you deal with your shiftwork – to tailor your
The Contents of Managing your shiftwork book
- Introduction – it’s a personal thing
- Why it’s hard to work shifts – it’s a design thing!
- Shiftwork effects
- Shiftwork problems – what can be done
- Sleep hygiene
- Eating and drinking
- Social and family life
- You, your fitness
- Health and Safety
- Individualizing your coping
Download the book
- E-Books: Industrial Hygiene Simplified
- E-Books: Managing your shiftwork
- E-Books: Learning from Accidents
- E-Books: A Practical Guide to Fire Alarm Systems
- E-Books: The Essential Manager’s Handbook
- E-Books: Handbook of Rigging Lifting, Hoisting, and Scaffolding for Construction and Industrial Operations
- E-Books: Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls Improving Food Safety in Human Food Manufacturing for Food Businesses
- E-Books: COVID-19 Information and Risk Assessment
- E-Books: Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- E-Books:Introduction to Environmental Management
- E-Books:The Fire Prevention Handbook for Home safety
- E-Books:Electrical Safety in the Construction Industry
- E-Books:SLIPS, TRIPS AND FALLS: ADVANCING YOUR SAFETY PROGRAM
- E-Books:Safety The Safety Professionals Expanded Guide to LOCKOUT TAGOUT
- E-Books:Preparation safety data sheets for hazardous chemicals
- E-Books:Hot Weather Survival Guide
- E-Books:Occupational Hygiene and Risk Management
- E-Books:The safe isolation of plant and equipment
- E-Books:Occupational Safety and Health Simplified for the Food Manufacturing Industry
- E-Books:Improving Safety culture
- E-Books:Introduction to Health and Safety in construction,2nd Ed
- E-Books:Introduction to Fire Safety Management
- E-Books:Means of Escape from Fire
- E-Books:Managing Health and Safety in the Dental Practice ( Manual)
- E-Books:Managing Noise and Vibration at Work
- E-Books:Warehousing and storage
- E-Books:Risk Management.10.Principles
- E-Books:Stress prevention at work checkpoints
- E-Books:Indoor Air Pollution
- E-Books:Fundamentals of Fire Protection for the Safety Professional
- E-Books:Guidelines for Gas cylinders safety
- E-Books:Job Hazard Analysis
- E-Books:Guide for the Respiratory Protection Standard
- E-Books:Welding safety Guide
- E-Books:Avoiding Static Ignition Hazards in Chemical Operations
- E-Books:Guide for Developing a Workplace Safety and Health Program
- E-Books:Rethinking the Way We Think About Safety
- E-Books:THE WORKPLACE GUIDE TO ARC FLASH SAFETY
- E-Books:Forklift Safety Guide
- E-Books:Engineering Safety Assessment
- E-Books:Health Hazard Evaluation Program
- E-Books:Managing contractors
- E-Books:Investigating accidents and incidents
- E-Books:Leading Indicators for Workplace Health and Safety
- E-Books:Workplace exposure limits
- E-Books:Easy Ergonomics:booklet
- E-Books:Managing shiftwork
- E-Books:Involving your workforce in health and safety
- E-Books:Successful health and safety management
- E-Books:First Aid
- E-Books:Safety For The Leader and Manager