While safety should be a priority in every organization, it is more paramount in certain industries than in others. If your workplace has specific machinery, chemicals, tools or other items that can be dangerous, you must have detailed health and safety policies that provide employees with training and education on how to work safely. This can help to reduce errors, injuries and health issues in the workplace, in addition to increasing productivity and efficiency. When hiring managers and employees, be sure to ask them questions about safety in the workplace.
Workplace health and safety are both the moral and legal responsibilities of most employers. Whether you’re working in an office or in a manufacturing warehouse, any type of workplace has its share of hazards. It is important for employers to thoroughly assess and effectively address each issue. This means performing a job safety analysis, providing education and training for your employees, supplying appropriate PPE at no cost to the worker, removing or controls hazards, and cultivating a culture of safety.
If you are planning to attend the HSE interview, the followings are the questions and answers that will help you to understand the basics of HSE. you can download many questions by clicking the Download buttom below
1. What is Safety?
It is a condition that gives you freedom from hazard, risk, an accident that may cause injury, damage, and loss to material or property damage and even death. OR Safety is defined as freedom from that condition that can cause injury to persons including death or damage to property or environment.
2. What is an accident?
It is an unexpected or unplanned event that may or may not result in injury or damage or property loss or death.
3. What is the injury?
It is defined as a harmful condition sustained by the body as a result of an accident.
4. What is a hazard?
An inherent property of a substance or an occurrence that has the potential to cause loss or damage property, person, or environment.
5. What is the risk?
In probability of the realization of the potential for loss or damage or injury.
6. What is the incident?
It is an event that represents a deviation from the intended sequence of designed steps.
7. What is a safety policy?
Any company has a social and legal obligation to provide a safe and health working environment to all his improvement to all his employees.
8. What is a safety audit?
The safety audit is the process that identifies unsafe conditions and unsafe acts in the plant and recommended safety improvement. Walkthrough It evaluates the unsafe condition noticeable to the naked eye during work through the plant. (Stores, civil work, erection work) Inter mediate-more details to study and review plant design and plant operation. Comprehensive –It evaluates the safety factors in the plant on the base engineering, analysis, testing, measurement.
9. What is a safety tag?
A safety tag can be defined as a surface made of cardboard or paper board on which English local languages letters are written for warning safety instructions to employees.
10. What is safety program?
Safety programme can be defined as five methods by which accident can be prevent easily they are engineering, education, enforcement, enthusiasm and example safety programmes are plain spoken and carry out certain legal steps.
11. What is attitude?
Attitude may be described as continuous behavior . if man’s behavior is good, then his action will be either correct or safe.
12. what is emergency planning?
Emergency planning can defined as a control measurer. It can control the accidents safe guard people and provide information to media.( Read more Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act [EPCRA] )
13. What is work permit system?
Work permit system is a “written documents” for permission to undertake a job by area in charge or it is written document issued by the area in charge to the performer to undertake the specific job.
14. What is work at height?
Any work above 2 meters from ground is caused work at height.
15. What is confined space?
An area which is small and enclosed or an area where one entry and exits or where a man cannot work comfortable in any location is caused confined space. 16. What is excavation?
Marking a hole or tunnel by digging the ground by man or machine is called excavation.
17. What is scaffolding?
It is a temporary platform constructed for supporting both men and materials and working safety at a construction site.
18. What is welding?
The process of joining of metals either by electrical or by gas is called welding. 19. What is gas cutting ?
The process of joining of cutting metals by using oxygen and combustible gas is called gas cutting.
20. What is sand blasting?
The process of removing rust dust, dirt, scales and old prints from the old surface using compressed air is called sand blasting.
21. What is painting?
The process after sand blasting is called painting .
22. What is LEL?
The minimum concentration of vapour, gasses and dust in air below which propagation of flame does not occur on contact with a source of ignition is called LEL.
23. What is UEL?
The maximum proportion of vapour, gasses and dust in air above which proposal the flame does not occur on contact with a source of ignition is called UEL.
( Read more : What is Meaning of %LEL , %UEL , PID )
24. What is manual handing?
The process of lifting, carrying and stacking materials by men is called manual handing.
25. What is housekeeping?
Housekeeping means not only cleanness but also orderly arrangement of operations, tools, equipments storage facilities and suppliers.
26. What is personal protective equipment?
It is an equipments used to project the person from hazards such dust, dirt, fumes and sparks etc. It is the barrier between hazard and person.
27. What is grinding?
Grinder is a portable machine with a wheel guard in position to reduced the danger.
28. What is Crane?
A tall machine used for moving heavy objects by suspending them from a projecting arm with hook.
29. What is forklift truck?
Forklift trucks are designed to handle heavy loads.
30. What is JSA?
The procedure of analyzing job for the specific purpose of finding the hazards and developing .
31. What are the duties of a safety officer?
Prepare tool box talk Prepare monthly statistics Prepare the checklist Accident reports Management meetings Arrange the safety classes/training Arrange monthly safety bulletin Inspection of fire extinguisher Arrange first aid training classes Arrange safety competitions like quiz, slogan, poster competitions exhibition etc.
32. What are the duties of a supervisor?
He has to instruct this workers about the work methods and procedures. He has to maintain discipline among the workers He has to supply necessary materials He has to control quality and cost of the job He has to guide has workers in doing a job in the correct and safe way He has to supply suitable personal protective equipment to his workers He should conduct periodical safety meetings. He should conduct safety inspection of his working area He should know about the fire fight equipments He should know investigate the accident and find out the cause of accident
33. What are the pre cautions for welding?
1. Remove all combustion material from the place of welding 2. Clear the work area and cover wooden floor with fire proof mats. ( Welding mechanic should be kept with in the visibility of the welders. 3. Erect fire resistance screen around the work 4. All welding cables should be fully insulted 5. All welding mics shall be double earthed 6. Welding area should be dry and free from water 7. Keep the fire extinguisher / sand really 8. Use leather hand gloves, goggles and helmets 9. Switch off the power when welding is stopped 10. Do not allow the helper to do welding 11. Do not shift he welding cable unless the electric power is switched off. 12. Do not allow the helper to carry the welding. Terminal of the welding cables should be provided 3-cable with lugs and kept tight. 13. Oxygen hose in black and Acetylene hose in red in color as per standard 14. NRV of the blow torches should be maintained properly avoid back fire 15. Welders should be trained properly 16. Cylinders should be stored in a cold dry place away bottom heat and direct sunlight. 17. Proper house keeping, good ventilation in the working area 18. Smoking should be avoided from welding area 19. Hose connection should be proper made 20. Barricade the work area and put a sign board 21. Rolling of cylinders should be avoided 22. Flash back arrestor should be attached in each cylinders 23. Any leakage of cylinder should be kept separately
34. What is the precaution for gas cutting?
1. Keep fire extinguisher nearby 2. Keep fire watch near by 3. Remove all combustible from work area 4. Use all necessary PPE 5. Never put welding gas cylinder in side a confined space 6. Hoses shall not be laid in path ways 7. Gas cutting torch should have flash back arrestors 8. Gas test to be done to check for presence of flammable gas in site. 9. Good house keeping and ventilation necessary in working area. 10. Hose connections should be made properly
35. What are the precaution for “sandblasting”?
1. Compressed airline, hoses and other fitting must installment firmly with out leaks the hose. 2. Mis use compress are should be avoided 3. A fresh air hood or mask must be worn 4. House keeping can be done period cally 5. Fire extinguish her shall be kept near by 6. Dust mask ear plugs / muffs should be used 7. No sand blasting shall be done on top of floating roof tank in service. 8. Use goggles & face shield 9. Sand blasting operation must be gas free
36. What are the precaution for “painting”?
1. All flammable material should be cleared from the work area 2. The required protective clothing and equipment must be worn 3. Cartridge respirators shall always be worn 4. Adequate ventilation is necessary 5. Adequate washing facilities must be readily available 6. Barrier cream should be applied to the skin
37. What are the hazards in welding?
Eye injury Burn injury Arc realization Electrical shock Light arc radiation Heat, light and radiation effect Heat fume Poisonous gases Chipped price of weld metal Fire Explosion Scattering Noise Sparking Sparking Flying sand
38. What are hazards and injuries in manual handing?
1. Cutting fingers due to sharp edges 2. Burns due to handing of hot articles 3. Foot injuries due to dropped articles 4. Slipped disc due to improper posture in lifting on object 5. Strains to wrist or fingers 6. Sprains, wounds hernias, fractures
39. Cause of accidents in manual handling?
1. Improper lifting 2. Carrying too heavy loads 3. Improper gripping 4. Failure to use PPE 5. Lifting greasy, oily and irregular objects 6. Poor physique
40. What precautions are need to avoid accident in manhandling?
1. Stand at safe distance from the load 2. Sharp edge and burns are removed before lifting a material. 3. PPE such as safety gloves and safety shoes are to be used. 4. If the weight is too heavy for one person to lift, then he has to seek the assistance. 5. The pathway is not blocked by obstacles while carrying the load. 6. The different actions, movements and forces necessary while carrying the load. 7. Modify the task by using hooks and crow bars. 8. Mechanical equipments like cranes shall be used. 9. Modify the objects 10. Change the way things are used.
41. Tips for manuals handling?
1. Plan 2. Clear the path 3. Move in close to the load 4. Secure your grip 5. Hold your head upright 6. Maintain normal curves of the spine 7. Power the lift with legs and body weight 8. Don’t twist
42 Cause of accidents in mechanical handling?
1. The sudden failure of wire rope or a chain 2. Slipping of the load from the sling 3. Swinging of the load at the time of lifting 4. The load sometimes hits the man
43. What are the accidents in “poor house keeping”?
1. Men getting hit by failing from overhead 2. Men slipping as greasy, wet or dirty floor 3. Men failing in open tank without cover in level floor 4. Accidents due to poor lighting 5. Fire accidents due to faulty electrical wires
44. What are the advantages in good housekeeping?
1. It helps in the reduction of accidents including fire accidents 2. It saves the property damages 3. It improves employee moral 4. Better productivity 5. Working area be-comes presentable 6. Human energy is conserved 7. Visitors are very much satisfied 8. The burden of the supervisor is reduced
45. How to care and maintenance of hand tools?
1. Tools must be kept clean and free from corrosion 2. Keep metal parts lightly oiled 3. Remove burrs from edges of tools and heads of chisels. 4. Tools which are not in used must be stored separately 5. A good worker regularly inspects his tools 6. Do not use tools without handles
46. How to prevent accidents of “power tools”?
1. The operators should wear face shields or safety glasses 2. Power tools should be placed in the store room after use 3. power tools should have protected by guards 4. Pneumatic hoses or electric cables of power tools should not pass through passage ways. 5. The electrical power tools should be properly earthed 6. Never horse play with hose of pneumatic tools 7. Power tools machines should be maintained and operated properly.
47. What are the causes of accidents of “hard tools”?
1. Due to wrong way using of tools. 2. Due to defective condition of tools 3. Due to failure of using right tools for right job 4. Due to wrong way of carrying tools 5. Due to strong of tools unsafety
48 What precautions are necessary in electrical work?
1. All electrical installations shall be as per Indian electricity rules 2. Only competent persons should handle the electrical equipments 3. The equipments should be earthed properly 4. All temporary electric lines should be drawn at least above man’s height 5. Cable should be completely insulted 6. Cable should not have any joints 7. Only connection for one point 8. Good house keeping on the area 9. Fire protection equipment to be kept near by 10. Use rubber gloves and rubber boots 11. Use good quality of wire 12. Power isolation close to the job 13. Use three pin plug instead of loose wire 14. Never operate any electrical equipment with wet hands 15. Never stand wet surface while working electrical equipments 16. During thunder storm do not stand under tree 17. Proper sign board is necessary 18. No person shall work on any live electrical conductor 19. The switch shall only be put on by person who switched it off
49. What are the hazards in construction?
1. Fall of person from top and getting injured 2. Fall of objects from top and below person injury 3. Fall of materials from top and damaged 4. Person fall into excavated pit 5. Collapse of soil and below person get injury or may 6. Damage of UG cables and sewage pipe 7. Collapse of scaffolding and person fall from height, get injury 8. Electrical shock 9. Fire and explosion 10. Burn injury 11. Health and lung problems 12. Snakes bite 13. Poisonous gas 14. Foreign body in eye
50. Cause of accident in construction? 1.
Erection equipment failure 2. Falling of persons from height 3. Electrical shocks 4. Improper lighting 5. Non stop working by worker 6. Up safe work methods 7. Collapsing of the earth during trench excavation 8. Failure of use safety equipment 9. Working a height without a safety belt
to complete the Questions please download the file Below
Download the Questions File
- High Rise Fire Safety Questions and Answers
- Scaffold Safety self Audit and checklist
- HSE Interview Questions and Answers for Oil and Gas
- Q& A: Which is better Cast Iron or concrete counterweight in the tower crane? and What is the purpose of a counterweight?
- 154-Safety Interview Questions and Answers
- Online Quiz: Top 13 Industrial Safety Objectives Questions
- Q&A: What Does Fire Load Mean? and How do you calculate it?
- HSE Interview Questioners
- Q & A: Do Manual Hoists and Trolleys Require a Load Test after Installation?
- Safety Record keeping
- Is Magnetic Particle Testing required by an OSHA or ASME standard?
- What is the difference between fall protection and fall prevention
- Conventional or Addressable Fire Alarm System?
- Online Quiz: Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- 68 HSE Interview Questions
- Online Quiz: Work and home fire safety
- Q & A: What is the Difference between Process shutdown and Emergency Shutdown?
- Interview Questions on Fire Alarm System
- Online Quiz: lightning Safety
- Q & A: What happens if I tie off at the foot level with a personal SRL?
- E-Books: Book of Questions and Answers Safety Health
- Q & A: What kind of gloves are best for stick welding?
- Q & A: Does anyone other than equipment operators need to be trained in lockout/Tagout?
- Work-Related Stress short guide
- How many wheel chocks do should I use per trailer?
- How is wind chill calculated?
- How do cooling towels work?
- What’s an efficient way to account for everyone in the event of an on-site emergency?
- Who should be responsible for rescuing fallen workers?
- When should workers use polarized safety glasses?
- Q & A: What PPE should I use when working at home?
- Q & A: What are the Types of scaffold’s load?
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Questions & Answers
- What procedure should we follow to reactivate equipment that has been locked out?
- What are some of the guidelines around using back support belts in the workplace?
- What is the difference between a hazard and a risk?
- Are nitrile gloves safe?
- Bump Testing Gas Detector 6 Important Questions
- Online Quiz:The Lab Safety Symbols
- Can you wear any pair of earmuffs with a hard hat?
- Online Quiz:Health and Safety Signs
- Online Quiz:Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Online Quiz:Construction Safety -Excavation
- What is Meaning of %LEL , %UEL , PID
- Online Quiz:Ladder safety, Test your self
- Online Quiz:Electrical safety, Test your self
- Fall Protection Systems Quiz Test Your Knowledge
- What is the general safety Rules and apply to whom?
- What can we do about rain protection for arc flash work?
- What is a self-retracting fall protection device?
- What is the difference between primary and secondary spill containment?
- How does dehydration impact workplace safety?
- What is the difference between safety goggles and glasses?
- Safety interview Questions and Answers Part 2
- Safety interview Questions and Answers Part 1