Mock drills are arranged by the organizations/public sector/ factories/government/luxury suits etc. usually fire brigades are indulged in mock drills in order to give guidance to the common public/ place where the mock drill takes place. This gives participants relevant knowledge on fire safety equipment, ways to handle them in an emergency crisis. Being the citizen of a country it is our responsibility to take care of our self, our neighbors and valuable assets.
In the photo of today, the reader will be familiar with the importance of mock fire drill and the Fire action Emergency procedure
People should watch carefully and understand what is the step by step procedure that is been taught during mock drill: Mock drill consists of how to rescue themselves and others around them, ways to control the emergency situation, do’s, don’ts, providing first aid to victims, reaching the hospital, etc. after the completion of the mock drill once will get clear cut idea and solution on ways to react during an emergency situation.
Objectives of mock drill
The main objective of the mock drill is to review emergency preparedness plan as well as evaluate standard operation protocols in any places mainly on larger organizations, schools, places where hazardous materials are used (chemicals, acids, LPG ), etc. which helps concerned people to act in accordance with the emergency situation to safeguard life and property.
Example: During an outbreak of fire, the following steps should be followed
- Try to get out from the burning building
- Assist fire victims
- To put down fire, utilize sand/wet cloth/clay
Why mock drill is important?
The ultimate goal of the mock drills is to test and improve the entire capability of an organization/ community by means of strengthening the relevant policies, plans, and protocols. Preparing and practicing particular roles and responsibilities will give save a number of lives, assets, and surroundings. Organizations that create and constantly maintain feasible and practical exercises mostly prepared to face such events.
Mock drill exercises developed should be flexible and planned in accordance with the needs of the concerned organization. Mock drills conducted are not solutions for the crisis but an efficient approach towards implementing important priorities that would lead to innovative solutions.
The Necessity of mock drill:
- To make people aware of hazards around them
- Ways to handle hazardous substances
- Inculcate preparedness among common public
- Know the value of resources belongs to various departments
- Examine SOPs and plans of industries
- Enhance resource capabilities
Who can take up mock drill training?
Professionals indulged in emergency response teams, fire, and safety sectors, key members in any organization, and people with a wish to get into the health and safety sector can attend mock drills.
Fire mock drill
Steps to be considered for a successful fire drill at the workplace:
Step1: Create the plan
The first and foremost step is to create appropriate policies and procedures. Usually, institutions that conduct fire mock drill form a group to create the plan to conduct mock drill
Before mock drill proper message /alert should be given to employee/public regarding the fire evacuation techniques, policies, decided assembly location after evacuation, emergency route, escape procedure with map, etc. should be provided ( Read more:what-is-an-emergency-management-plan-and-what-should-be-included-in-it/)
Step2: Educate public/employees
After the plan and policies get ready for the mock drill, do explain it with employees, also ensure that each and every employee receives all relevant information regarding the mock drill. The planned emergency documents should be given both in hard copy and soft copy and if they have any doubts they should be cleared before the mock drill begins. Ensure that the escape route, fire safety equipment, alarm pull are marked properly.
Step: 3 Motivate workers to indulge in the mock drill
The importance of mock drills should be taught to employees as the lives matter anything else. Let them know and understand the importance of saving lives and this can be done by gaining the knowledge of mock fire drills. Every individual in an organization should take this seriously and attend mock drills with interest.
Step4: Mock drills at a regular interval of time
Practice…. Practice… practice – it’s the only thing that can make you stronger in any field. Conducting mock drill on a regular interval of time helps your employees and organization remains safe and have knowledge on fire safety. Keeping this as routine practice makes. ( learn more:Emergency-drills-exercises/)
Things to keep in mind during fire mock drill
- Creating a situation that resembles if fire breakdown and make sure your employee will know the emergency fire action plan
- The frequent mock drill should be done as the procedure will get changes from one building to another building as the model and construction varies likewise the level of risk to get varies
- Escape routes should be obstacle free (no things should be occupied over there ) and people in the particular building should know the escape route
Importance of fire drill
- The mock drill helps employees to react quickly and safely as soon as during an emergency crisis. This plays a vital role in health and safety and it is strongly recommended for all organizations.
- Conducting mock drill in any place helps people to get emergency simulation and helps people not to get panic in case if an actual fire breaks down
- Help know people where and how to use fire safety equipment
Fire Emergency Procedures
In case of fire
- Close the door as you leave the room
- Pull the nearest fire alarm (located at any exit)
- Evacuate the building. DO NOT use elevators. Proceed to an assembly area across the street and away from the building.
- Report the fire.
When you hear a fire alarm
- Evacuate the building via the nearest exit and DO NOT use elevators
- Proceed to an assembly area across the street and away from the building
- Keep access ways and roadways clear
- Await instructions from Campus Security
- When the ‘All Clear’ signal is given, re-enter the building through the main entrance
(learn how to: prepare fire-emergency-evacuation-plan-and-the-fire-procedure/)
- It is mandatory for facility buildings to be evacuated during any fire alarm.
- Report all fires, no matter how small, to the Emergency Report Centre, using the contact number.
- Report the smell of the smoke of undetermined origin to the Emergency Report Centre, contact number.
- Attempt to extinguish the fire only if you can do so safely.
- Familiarize yourself with the location of fire exits and fire extinguishers in your area.
If the fire alarm sounds and you are on the ground floor,
- Exit the building by normal means
If the fire alarm sounds and you are above or below the ground floor,
- Telephone the report Centre.
- Tell the dispatcher that your fire alarm is sounding but you are mobility impaired and cannot leave your floor area. If you smell smoke, or are in immediate danger, inform the dispatcher.
- Provide your exact location – Floor and Room Number.
- Provide the phone number and extension you are calling from. It is IMPERATIVE that this number can receive return calls. Note that PAY telephones generally cannot receive incoming calls.